Here's the smoke/steam is added to the letter K, it's gray Kreinik. The original pattern had the smoke/steam fully stitched, but since I was trying to match the other one I made I just kept it as an outline.
So next up was the A. I did the same thing on this one as the A in the other one. It got a hat. This time and engineer hat. This one was the moth difficult to make. I did finally find a hat in the correct orientation, but the only way I could achieve what I wanted included a massive amount of back-stitching. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
First off is the A.
The hat is all one color, so this was an easy one to stitch.
And then the crazy amount of back-stitching:
The next letter is the last, so it has to be the caboose. This one started as a caboose I found online. But I did modify it quite a bit. It was a more realistic looking caboose. I altered it heavily to try to give it the same look as the engine. This one went through a few edits after sending some samples to my sister.
The letter N is quite covered, not as much as the K though.
All stitched in the standard red color, with a little bit of yellow to make it a little more interesting.
This had a bit of back stitching too, but not as much as the engine.
At the bottom I added a border, but this time I just kept it simple as a train track, however it was a lot of stitches and seemed to take forever.
All done! And done long before I needed to have it done. Now I just need to get it framed.
Pattern: Train Kellan
Pattern by: Me, using letters from Firefighter's Sampler
Started Stitching: May 23, 2016
Finished Stitching: June 3, 2016
Fabric: 28ct. White Evenweave
Floss: DMC 2 over 2, or 1 over 2 Kreinick #4 Braid
Percentage: 100% complete
Stitches: 3,772 out of 3,772 complete