Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Firefighter Logan: First Post

Here's a Christmas gift I started working on earlier this month, or is it a birthday gift?  I haven't decided yet.  It's for my nephew, Logan.  Recently his bedroom decor has changed from his baby jungle theme to a fire engine theme.  I found this firefighter's sampler when my sister told me of the change.  But I was not going to stitch the entire alphabet.  I was just going to stitch the letters of his name.

When I received the pattern I found it was an incredibly old hand written pattern.  I decided to digitize it to make it easier on me when stitching.  I also found that I didn't like the letters as they were.  Both the L and the O had Dalmatians, the G had boots that kind of looked like ski boots, and the A had a firefighter with an axe, but it was difficult at first glance to tell what it was.  Also, none of the letters in his name had a fire engine in them.  So I went to work on doing some altering.

The first letter I stitched was the G.  I took the original G and made it a little bit wider.  Then I took the fire engine from the Q and put it behind the the G I made, then filled in the blanks on the engine left by the now absent Q.  I took these pictures in the same way I took the pictures for the 12 Dragonlets of Christmas.  So, first up is just the letter G stitched.

Now, all the rest of the colors, the colors of the fire engine.

And now for the backstitching.
I'm quite proud of my rework on this one.  I also added color to the windows (half cross stitches), the yellow + and the squares in the middle of the hubcaps.

Next up is the O.  This is the only letter that I did not modify at all.  Here's the O first.

And this is the one with the dalmatian that I kept.

And here he is with the backstitching.

Project Stats:
Pattern: Firefighter Logan
Pattern by: Firefighter's Sampler
Started Stitching: October 11, 2013
Fabric: 28ct. White Evenweave
Floss: DMC 2 over 2, or 1 over 2 Kreinick #4 Braid
Percentage: 35.41% complete
Stitches: 1,478 out of 4,173 complete

Two of the remaining letters have been entirely altered, the other I only altered the colors.  I seem to be missing two of the colors, I'll just pick those up tomorrow at work though.  I also have a border that will go along the bottom, that matches the new bedding, drapes and pillows my sister ordered.  You'll see more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment